DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WORDPRESS.ORG AND WORDPRESS.COM
What is the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com? Pros and cons of WordPress.org and WordPress.com
WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
WordPress.org (we recommend this one)
WordPress.org is often called self-hosted WordPress. It is the free open source content management system (or CMS) written in the PHP and uses MySQL database, website software that you can install on your own web host to create a website. To use this version you will need to have a domain and hosting also. It is 100% free to use for anyone.
Below are some pros and cons using the self-hosted wordPress.org to build your own website or blog
You have full control over your website or blog with wordPress.org, and you are free to do everything as you want and customize it as much as you need.
There are some benefits of choosing wordPress.org to build your website and the reason why it is our number one pick for the best website builder.
- Free to download and use.
- Can use any theme.
- Upload the custom plugins.
- You can make money from your WordPress website by running ads without sharing revenue with someone.
- You can use powerful tools such as Google Analytics for custom analytics and tracking.
- You can use it to create an online store to sell your digital and physical products.
- Also you can create a membership site to sell memberships for premium content, courses, or others and build the online community around your website.
There are few cons using wordPress.org.
- You will pay for the hosting.
- Setup: you will install WordPress yourself.
- You are responsible for your website management and server (although most web hosts handle basic task for you)
It is the hosted version of WordPress, it is owned by the automatic the company founded by Matt Mullenweg. In this, your website URL or domain will be including the word “WordPress” by default, like myblog.wordPress.com. You do not need any external hosting or external domain name, sign up for the account and you will be able to start building your own website or blog right away.
WordPress.com has five plans:
- Free (very limited)
- Personal (4 dollars per month)
- Premium (8 dollars per month)
- Business (25 dollars per month)
- E-commerce (45 dollars per month)
There are some pros and cons of wordPress.com
There are some benefits of using the wordPress.com
- 100 percent free
- It is free for up to 3GB space
- You do not need to worry about the updates or backup, WordPress will take care.
- The easy to customize.
- By default include “WordPress” in the free plan of com.
- They place ads on the all free website that your users will see but you will not make money from it, if you don’t want your user will see their ads then you can upgrade your site to a paid plan(with $48 yearly )
- You can’t upload any custom themes plugins or modify the PHP code behind your website.
- Limited themes for free.
- You are not allowed to sell ads on your site, which severely limits ways to monetize your website.
- They can delete your site at any time if they think that you are violating their terms and services.