What is Email Marketing?
What is Email Marketing? Definition and History: Advantages and disadvantages of email marketing
What is Email Marketing?
It can make customers on your email list aware of new products and other services. It can play a pivotal role in teaching folks about your brand or keeping them engaged between purchases.
It is the form of direct marketing and the process of sending commercial messages through the email to targeted audience or consumers. It can be used to increase your sales to improve your brand loyalty and deliver important information.
History of email marketing:
In 1971 the very first email was sent by a computer engineer “Ray Tomlinson” he was also the person who introduced the usage of the symbol of “@” in the email addresses. The message he was sent just the string of numbers and letters but it was the beginning of the new era of communication. In the year of 1978, the marketing manager at “Digital Equipment Corp” named” Gary thuerk” used this method of direct communication to sent out the first commercial email to let people know about the new product.
Advantages of email marketing:
There are some of the advantages of email marketing
- The cost-effective: the cost of email marketing is much lower than many other forms of marketing, there are no fees, printing, or media space costs.
- The flexible design: the choice of design options gives you the scope to convey your business branding. You can send plain text, graphics, or can attach files whichever suits the message best.
- Sharable: it is easily shared, subscribers can also forward or share brilliant deals and offers to their friends at the click of the button. This can help influence your new customers to become followers of your brand.
- Measurable: Another advantage of email marketing is that it is easy to see where you are going wrong, with email marketing; you can look how many people are exactly opening, reading, and clicking through your email content.
- Can increase your web traffic: Email marketing can help you to increase your website traffic you can link to relevant web content within your email message.
- Real-time marketing: Through email marketing, you can connect with the customers in real-time. Using automated triggers, like website activity or recent purchases you can reach the right audience at the right time and in the right place with the right offer.
- Easy to get started: It is easy to get started there are a variety of templates and tools at your disposal that can help you set up your first campaign.
Disadvantages of email marketing:
With all of these advantages of email marketing, there are also some of the disadvantages of email marketing.
- Spam: The commercial email or spam irritates consumers. If your messages are not targeted to the right people the recipient may delete your email or may unsubscribe you.
- Delivering issues: the poorly designed email may not get delivered; some of the email addresses in your email list may get inactive. You may be sending emails to no one.
- The size issues: the files need to be small enough to download, emails that containing many images may take too long to load.